What is a Mummy MOT
The Mummy MOT is a detailed post natal physiotherapy assessment recommended to help new mums address any physiological issues since giving birth andÂ help them get back to peak health and fitness.
Why is a Mummy MOT so important?
Childbirth is a life-changing experience, but it also causes a number of changes in your body that can lead to long-term issues including:
- Posture changes
- Chronic pelvic pain
- Muscle imbalances
- Altered alignment
- Reduced core strength
- Bladder and bowel weakness
Is the Mummy MOT Check for you?
If youâ€™re a new mum, odds are that your baby has been keeping you so busy that you havenâ€™t had the time to think about those niggling issues you may be experiencing since childbirth. Pelvic pain, reduced muscle strength and changes in your posture are all normal after having a baby, but left unchecked, could get worse instead of better, and could develop into long-term problems. Taking the time to look after your own physical health will reap huge rewards and means you can be a strong, healthy mum to your little one.
What you can expect from your Mummy MOT
The Mummy MOT is carried out by Ashleigh Rutherford. During this physiotherapy assessment, Ashleigh gathers information about your labour and any subsequent health concerns, and addresses key areas known to be most affected by childbirth, including:
- Any specific aches / pains – looking at how these are manifested in your body
- Tummy gap â€“ a scan will check the space between your stomach muscles, and how well they have knitted together since childbirth.
- Pelvic floor check to test the strength of your pelvic muscles
The results of your Mummy MOT
After your assessment, you will receive a report of the findings, along with a programme tailored specifically for you and your lifestyle, suggesting safe, restorative exercises to help you correct the effects of childbirth.
We can also advise on complimentary therapies, massages and relaxation techniques to boost your postnatal health and wellbeing.
How soon after childbirth should a Mummy MOT be carried out?
We recommend an assessment from 6 weeks after childbirth or after your first post natal check up with your doctor or midwife. The sooner you have your check, the sooner you can start to work on regaining your strength and correcting any issues before they develop into anything more serious or painful. Â However itâ€™s never too late, so even if itâ€™s been years since childbirth, if you feel youâ€™re still experiencing related issues such as problems with your pelvic floor,Â posture, breathing or muscle strength, the Mummy MOT can help you identify the cause of your issues, and advise on a safe, effective exercise programme to address them.
How can you book a Mummy MOT?
How are we ensuring that our practice is safe during the COVID-19 situation?
According to current COVID-19 information and advice, Harpenden Physiotherapy are taking the following measures to protect all those visiting the clinic:
- Screening all patients at the point of booking in line with Government guidelines.
- Screening all patients, staff and visitors upon arrival into the clinic.
- Providing all visitors access to alcohol-based hand sanitizer upon entry and exit.
- Increasing the frequency and thoroughness of cleaning around the building.
- Reminding all visitors of the importance of personal hygiene and best practices, such as regular handwashing, which are displayed on posters / electronic boards throughout the clinics.
For more information on our health & safety practices please read our COVID-19 information guide.