What does neurological physiotherapy involve?
Neurological conditions and injuries are those affecting either the central nervous system, (the brain and spinal cord), the peripheral nervous system (nerves), our balance and/or co-ordination. At our clinic we offer neurological physio in Hertfordshire to treat a diverse range of conditions.
As the nervous system is a complex body system, there are many different conditions associated with a neurological injury, including:
- Balance problems
- Brain injury
- Cerebral palsy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal cord injury
Moreover, these conditions may present with a variety of different symptoms, which can include the following to name but a few:
Muscle spasm (called spasticity)
- Where excessive amounts of muscle tone are present leading to abnormal postures, for example, the muscles around the wrist and elbow joint spasming and causing the hand to stay close to the shoulder after a stroke.
- Often associated with muscle shortening after a neurological injury.
- Often uncontrollable shaking of a joint of limb after a neurological injury.
- Hypersensitivity to stimuli, i.e. pain and touch, a lack of sensation, i.e. numbness, and parasthesia (often described as ants running up and down the skin).
How our neurological physio in Hertfordshire treatment can help
As the nervous system is a complex, yet integral bodily system, the result of a neurological injury can be devastating to our functional capability and can often be a life changing event, affecting every day activities such as walking, feeding and dressing.
Our specialist Hertfordshire based neurological physiotherapists will begin with a thorough assessment of your individual needs (explained below) which can often take place within your home, as well as our clinic. Then, by our expert understanding of the biomechanics of normal body movement and using recognized and evidence based neurological physiotherapy techniques, we can plan an appropriate treatment and rehabilitation program that will help you to reach your potential.
Equally, neurological physiotherapy works quite differently for everyone and has many facets that ultimately assist in your recovery –
- Where and by how much the neurological system has been damaged
- Previous physical health and functional capabilities
- Other previous medical ailments
- Family and possible carer support in and around your home
- Motivation and psychological factors
All of these factors are important, in line with neurological physiotherapy, to ascertain and ensure that your recovery potential is as accurate as possible. Due to the nature of Neruological conditions, we understand that mobility may be restricted and attending regular appointments may be difficult. To help you towards full recovery Harpenden Physiotherapy offers at home treatment visits to those living within the AL1, AL2, AL3, AL4, AL5 and LU1 post code areas.
How do I book an appointment?
If you would like to find out more about our Hertfordshire based neurological physio techniques and how we help our patients to reach their full potential, please call us on 01582 761448 or get in touch.